Friday, April 15, 2016

Kick up the butt: Horse Float Edition.

I mentioned in a previous post that L had come to collect the horse float one day whilst I was at the stables, and take it for its' warrant of fitness. Well, unfortunately it failed for the first time ever.

Meaning we can't float our horses in it. Meaning I have no transport for the foreseeable.

The damage is pretty extensive and forecast to be in the $2,000 region which, considering that we've been weighing up whether to upgrade for the past two years has been a bit of a shove for us to actually make a decision.

We got the float as a temporary trade off for our old truck. We had a lovely little 'ladies truck' which we kept parked up at our local pony club, and one weekend a bunch of horse floats and our truck were vandalised. I think the engine underneath the cab was ripped out and our truck was obviously rendered useless. Whilst we were on the market for a new truck, someone offered us a trade - their float for the body of our truck. It worked out nicely as a temporary solution.

Only, we loved the float so much we never actually got around to buying a new truck, or even a new float. It tows like a dream and the horses travel beautifully in it so it just stuck around.



It's not the prettiest of horse floats; especially parked next to sleek and shiny coloured models, but it has been trusty as hell. I don't even think it's branded, a kiwi home build that even anxious travellers don't mind hopping into. 

All week we have been weighing up whether to fix it ourselves, or finally upgrade as we have been meaning to since our truck first got vandalised. It was a tough call as it came out of 'wanting' as opposed to necessity, but we decided it's time to sell our faithful little float. 

We can't use it in its current state, and once it has sold it may take a bit of time for us to find a new one, so there'll be no hunting, bridle path hacking or beach rides for a while which is a shame, but it's a great time to catch up on lessons instead. 

We're not wanting much for it at all, and so somebody who knows how to weld (damage just requires welding underneath) will make a sweet profit! Hopefully it goes quickly so we can get on the road again!

8 comments:

  1. I really had a little giggle at my mental image of you floating your horses (we haul here). There you go bobbing down the river on a raft floating your horses. I have a kindof homemade trailer as well and every horse loves it, dunno what that's about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - that would be hilarious! When we first moved to New Zealand I could NOT get my head around the term!

      Delete
  2. What a bummer! I'm always anxious when I take my trailer in to get looked at every spring, but so far we've managed to escape with pretty minimal upkeep repairs. Stupid expensive, but harmless enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've actually been super lucky and never had a thing go wrong. When it rains, it pours I guess.

      Delete
  3. Aww what a bummer! Hopefully someone snatches it up for a fair price soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Although I'm strangely attached to the wooden wheel-box now we've committed to selling it haha

      Delete
  4. i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present something back and help others such as you helped me.
    horse truck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horse transport can be extremely trying for both you and your equine companion. With some careful preparation, however, you can take the stress out of the trip and make traveling the enjoyable experience it was meant to be, for both your equine companion and yourself. Here are a few tips on how best to make the journey as easy and stress-free as possible when transporting horses and ponies. Horse Haulers

    ReplyDelete